On this episode of the CRE podcast, recorded at the RealCapital conference in Toronto on February 26, 2019, Aaron Cameron and Adam Powadiuck of First National Financial LP sit down with Matthew Spoke, the founder of Aion, a multi-tier blockchain network.
Listen in as they dive deep into how blockchain will affect the commercial real estate industry.
Matthew explains the difference between blockchain and Bitcoin, and how blockchain can be used outside of cryptocurrency.
The guys discuss the prospect of multi-national institutions, like J.P. Morgan, entering the blockchain universe, and the implications of institutional support for blockchain technology.
Matthew answers the question, “can you use cryptocurrency to pay for your morning coffee,” and the answer might surprise you.
Hear how real estate transactions are happening with cryptocurrency right now, and how fractional ownership and tokenization can connect with Bitcoin. Will this change the way millennials can invest in the housing market?
Matthew details how blockchain could get rid of certain inefficiencies in real estate transactions, including the notarizing process.
Could Fortnite real estate investments be on the horizon for investors? Matthew explains how digital scarcity and gaming cryptocurrencies might become a way to diversify investment portfolios in the future.
Click play to hear all of this, and more.
This podcast is kindly powered by First National Financial LP and made in partnership with Informa Exhibitions.
Topics covered include:
- Why resistance will come from the real estate industry towards using blockchain.
- The reasons why someone would want to give you money to fund your home.
- How blockchain can lower the barrier of entry into real estate investments.
- The ways that the YIMBY project of Chris Spoke, who is Matthew’s brother and a previous guest on the podcast, could utilize blockchain.
- The aspect of real estate that Matthew thinks has the lowest barrier of entry for widespread use of blockchain.
- Environmental impacts of cryptocurrency.
- Matthew’s closing thoughts on blockchain technology in the real estate industry.
Recorded at: RealCapital 2019
Real Estate Forums have teamed up with Adam Powadiuk and Aaron Cameron of First National Financial to produce live podcasts at conferences and forums around the country. Each episode features guests that include industry titans, innovators and game changers. Listen to podcasts recorded live at the Real Estate Forums and Conferences from our website and look out for them at events throughout the year!