At the Canadian Apartment Investment Conference for the forum series, Rob Geremia joins this episode. He is the President of Boardwalk REIT and has worked with the company for twenty-six years.
Boardwalk began entering Western Canada when the real estate market was cooling off decades ago, so Rob tells us how they are dealing with the current recession. He talks about how he sees rent control influence the rental market and his view of the revitalization of some Greater Toronto Area neighbourhoods.
Topics covered include:
- How Rob came to be the President of Boardwalk REIT.
- The usefulness of older properties.
- The state of Western Canada’s real estate market when Boardwalk began investing.
- Getting listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Dealing with the current real estate downturn in Alberta.
- Homeowners who want to downsize but stay in the same neighbourhood.
- Fluctuating cap rates.
- Amenities and security becoming more in-demand in rentals.
- The effects of rent control on affordable housing.
- Boardwalk’s goal to be self-funding.
- The cheapest source of capital for Boardwalk.
- Trading lease risk for construction risk.
- Desirability of properties near subway lines in Toronto.
- Cities in Alberta that Rob is the most excited about.
This episode of Commercial Real Estate Podcast powered by First National was recorded live at the Canadian Apartment Investment Conference as part of our Forum Series.
More about the guest:
Rob has been part of the Boardwalk group of Companies for over 25 years and has held a number of senior rolls within the organization. In 2007 he was appointed President responsible various financial, operating and reporting responsibilities of the entity with an enterprize of close to $6 Billion.Rob holds membership in various professional and volunteer organizations including a five year term on the Accounting Standards Board of Canada. He was awarded his Fellowship Chartered Account from the institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta. His outside interests focus on family and education.
Recorded at: Canadian Apartment Investment Conference
Real Estate Forums have teamed up with Adam Powadiuk and Aaron Cameron of First National Financial to produce live podcasts at conferences and forums around the country. Each episode features guests that include industry titans, innovators and game changers. Listen to podcasts recorded live at the Real Estate Forums and Conferences from our website and look out for them at events throughout the year!