Our guest today is Greg Speirs. He is the Executive Vice President of Portfolio Management at Realstar. Greg has real estate experience in many countries, including the USA and France, and shares his story of progressing through those markets.
After, we hear Greg’s thoughts on some of the changes that COVID-19 has brought to real estate. Realstar focuses on apartment buildings, so Greg talks about how those are being affected. He also shares his thoughts on the abundance of downtown construction that has happened across Canada in the past few years.
Topics covered include:
• How Greg got to where he is today.
• His education and work experience that spans several countries.
• Finding like-minded partners.
• Realstar’s vision to acquire high-caliber properties for the long-term.
• Starting off with value-add properties.
• Utilizing discounts to justify risk.
• Understanding the risks of owning property in certain geographic areas.
• The worst phone call regarding damage that Greg has received.
• If the value proposition of Realstar has changed in recent years.
• Raising capital versus deploying capital.
• The construction that has happened downtown in Canadian cities.
• Social challenges in the real estate industry.
• Diversity initiatives being undertaken by Realstar.
Released: September 17, 2020