Today’s episode brings us Brian Sutherland. He is the Industry Principal of Commercial at Yardi and started his own e-commerce company when he was sixteen years old. After getting tired of competing with Amazon, he sold his business and found a new career with Yardi.
Based in Santa Barbara, California, Brian provides us with an American perspective on how the coronavirus is impacting the real estate market. He reveals what he thinks will permanently change in the industry because of the pandemic and later discusses how 5G will influence real estate transactions.
Topics covered include:
• Brian’s background and his frequent visits to Canada.
• How Amazon affected the business that Brian started.
• What Yardi is and the value they offer to the commercial real estate industry.
• Issues that Yardi addresses which have come to the forefront during COVID-19.
• Various levels of risk associated with different tenant types.
• Red flags that Yardi will catch regarding risk.
• Not understanding what the future holds.
• Connecting information to paint a better picture.
• How the impact on rent has been in the United States.
• The digital progression that has been forced because of the pandemic.
• How the adoption of 5G will accelerate real estate.