Coming at you from the Global Property Market Forum, Aaron and Adam welcome Jim Costello in this episode. He is the Senior Vice President of Real Capital Analytics, a company which has many offices throughout the world that track real estate trends globally.
In addition to his expertise in the Canadian market, Jim spends a lot of time focused on the US and Latin America. He shares several of his insights on these markets, as well as what he learned on a recent trip to Asia. We also hear his thoughts on retail space and the continuously growing tech ecosystem.
Topics covered include:
- How Real Capital Analytics took inspiration from Wall Street.
- Reading academic papers and translating them to common language.
- Advantages that help the tech market in Canada, particularly Vancouver.
- The headline story that Jim has been telling lately.
- Imbalances in the United States that caused recessions.
- Tech firms that are looking for a large amount of financing.
- Take-aways from Jim’s recent trip to Asia.
- The market correction happening in Chicago.
- Jim’s thoughts on retail buildings and why some will always be relevant.
- Growing interest of investors in areas such as student and senior housing.
- What Jim has been seeing in real estate in Latin America.
This episode of Commercial Real Estate Podcast powered by First National was recorded live at the Global Property Market Forum as part of our Forum Series.
More about our guest:
Jim Costello is an economist who analyzes the commercial property markets. Jim communicates stories on market performance to clients of Real Capital Analytics by way of writing and presentations.
Jim has worked in the commercial real estate space on issues of urban economics since 1990, including a 20-year stint with CBRE’s Torto Wheaton Research team. Jim expanded the reach of the Torto Wheaton Research team developing forecasts of global market fundamentals. He also developed approaches to answer investor questions on asset values and relative investment opportunities. Jim provided advice to the Treasury Department and other policy makers in the aftermath of the Global Financial Crisis and helped educate these professionals on commercial real estate performance.
Jim is a member of the Counselors of Real Estate. He is also a member of the Commercial Board of Governors of the Mortgage Bankers Association.
Recorded at: Global Property Market
Real Estate Forums have teamed up with Adam Powadiuk and Aaron Cameron of First National Financial to produce live podcasts at conferences and forums around the country. Each episode features guests that include industry titans, innovators and game changers. Listen to podcasts recorded live at the Real Estate Forums and Conferences from our website and look out for them at events throughout the year!