Aaron and Adam were at the Ottawa Real Estate Forum as part of their Forum podcast series. They are joined by Julie Taggart, VP of Leasing and Operations at Taggart Realty Management. She began there by working in an administrative role for her uncle, Paul Taggart, and has risen through the ranks of this multi-generational enterprise.
Taggart Realty Management operates solely in Ottawa and Kingston, so Julie is an expert when it comes to these two cities. She talks about the history of her company, their focus on retail space in Ottawa, and what makes real estate development different in the nation’s capital.
Topics covered include:
- How Julie got into real estate after travelling around the world.
- The beginnings of Taggart Realty and how it has evolved.
- Shifting from acquiring assets to developing them.
- What Taggart’s portfolio looks like today.
- The first apartment building development that Taggart undertook.
- Retail property outlook in Ottawa and the incentives that landlords are giving to new spaces.
- Different styles of leasing and the fulfillment Julie gets from it.
- Being protected from the increase of the e-commerce take over.
- Taggart’s approach towards diversification.
- Growth strategies of Taggart in the 1990s, including the decision to service land.
- The municipal government’s high level of support in developing Ottawa.
- What the next few years look like for Taggart.
- The potential of the industrial market in Ottawa.
- Building to appeal to new tenants.
This episode of Commercial Real Estate Podcast powered by First National was recorded live at the Ottawa Real Estate Forum as part of our Forum Series.
More about our guest:
Julie Taggart is the Senior Vice President of Operations at Taggart Realty Management. She oversees the operations and leasing of the retail and office portfolio as well as all new development projects in the Ottawa and Kingston markets. She has over 19 years of real estate experience and has developed strong relationships with national tenants.
Recorded at: RealTrends
Real Estate Forums have teamed up with Adam Powadiuk and Aaron Cameron of First National Financial to produce live podcasts at conferences and forums around the country. Each episode features guests that include industry titans, innovators and game changers. Listen to podcasts recorded live at the Real Estate Forums and Conferences from our website and look out for them at events throughout the year!