Our guest today is Clifford Fraser, who is the Chief Business Development Officer at Equiton Inc. After working with several financial firms, he was brought on to Equiton when a close friend wanted his help in starting a real estate company.
Equiton has unique ways of finding deals which allows them to avoid bidding wars with larger companies, so Clifford takes us through their process. He also compares the stock market crash we have seen in 2020 to the one he experienced as a new lender in 2008.
Topics covered include:
• How Clifford ended up at his current role.
• Working as an accountant right after university.
• What Clifford learned during his stint in lending.
• Comparing the 2008 economic crash with what COVID-19 has caused.
• What the typical investor of Equiton is like.
• Yield expectations and the unique structuring of their funds.
• Going door-to-door to search for apartment deals.
• Not seeing an increase in redemption during the pandemic.
• Challenges around asset valuation right now.
• Buying buildings which haven’t had their intrinsic value unlocked.
• Getting data on comparables despite a downturn in deals happening.
• People that take advantage of the benefits available.
• The balanced fund at Equiton and its performance this year.
Released: August 15, 2020