Aaron and Adam are welcoming Andrew Joyner in today’s episode. He is the Managing Director of Tricon Residential, overseeing all Canadian apartment activities for around 4200 units. Andrew has a wealth of experience in both the North American and European real estate markets.
The presence that Tricon has in the US allowed them to be relatively well prepared for the COVID-19 pandemic. Andrew discusses this situation along with his company’s focus on providing housing options for people in the middle of the market. After, he comments on the apartment situation in Toronto.
Topics covered include:
• How Andrew got to where he is today.
• The time that Andrew spent working in the UK.
• Tricon’s focus on the middle market demographic.
• Controlling the resident experience in Tricon properties.
• Why Tricon was so well prepared to deal with a pandemic.
• Partnerships to enrich the resident experience.
• Conversion numbers on virtual tours versus in-person ones.
• Toronto’s ascendance to world city status.
• The “Manhattanization” of Toronto.
• COVID-19’s influence on the design of Tricon apartments.
• Looking for new locations for affordable living spaces.
• Providing housing in the US for hard-working families.
• Being methodical and strategic when buying land.
• Andrew’s thoughts on if competition will increase or decrease from here.
• Buying the dip.
Released: August 26, 2020