From the RealTrends Conference in Toronto, this episode’s guest is Susan Rosen. She is a Partner with Gowling WLG and just before recording this podcast, she moderated the cannabis panel at the conference.
Susan takes us through her career in real estate law, which she was inspired to pursue because of her family’s involvement in the industry. She discusses the ins and outs of the cannabis industry and what makes this space unique when it comes to renting and buying property.
Topics covered include:
- Working with clients who have cannabis licenses.
- Complications around cannabis rules as a landlord.
- Challenges of cannabis production facilities.
- KYC – Know Your Client
- Susan’s first job during the late 1980s real estate boom.
- Moving to a job with Shell Canada.
- Susan’s pay-it-forward approach to mentoring.
- Resources for women in real estate.
- Revocation of cannabis licenses due to not meeting qualifications.
- A story about an illegal cannabis retail store.
- Predictions for how the cannabis industry will look to real estate lenders in the future.
- Due diligence required for having a cannabis tenant.
- The diversity of people who use cannabis.
This episode of Commercial Real Estate Podcast powered by First National was recorded live at RealTrends Conference in Toronto as part of our Forum Series.
More about our guest:
Susan Rosen is a partner in Gowling WLG’s Toronto office and a member of both the Financial Institutions & Services and Real Estate and Urban Development Practice Groups. Susan specializes in a broad range of syndicated lending, banking, restructuring and enforcement, real estate, commercial leasing and environmental law related areas.
Susan’s practice involves secured financings, commercial acquisition, disposition and financing transactions, construction financing, commercial and retail leasing, and environmental law related issues. In her practice, Susan acts on behalf of individuals, small and multinational corporations, REITs, financial institutions, credit unions, insurance companies and foreign investors, as well as some of Canada’s largest and most well-known developers, property and asset managers and retail chains. One of Susan’s roles at Gowling WLG is to lead the Starbucks client team to ensure effective and efficient access to a wide variety of legal services offered by the firm throughout all of its offices.
Susan is a highly regarded legal and strategic advisor to many clients of the firm. She plays a strong role in Gowling WLG’s diversity initiatives and received the Starbucks International Excellence in Diversity Award in 2012.
Recorded at: RealTrends
Real Estate Forums have teamed up with Adam Powadiuk and Aaron Cameron of First National Financial to produce live podcasts at conferences and forums around the country. Each episode features guests that include industry titans, innovators and game changers. Listen to podcasts recorded live at the Real Estate Forums and Conferences from our website and look out for them at events throughout the year!