Alan MacKenzie returns for his second appearance on the podcast in this episode. He is the CEO of JLL Canada, and was the President of Triovest at the time of his last appearance. Alan starts off by taking us through his thought process when choosing to leave Triovest.
The leadership approach of Alan was so well received in his previous episode that Aaron and Adam ask for more insights in this episode. We also hear about the cultural building that Alan has taken part in at JLL and his thoughts on the COVID-19 pandemic’s effects on real estate.
Topics covered include:
• Alan’s personal purpose statement.
• JLL emailing Alan and listening to his first guest appearance on CRE.
• The strategy Alan deployed to begin immediately impacting the culture at JLL.
• Three words that are used to define JLL’s culture.
• How adapting to a great culture early has helped JLL during COVID-19.
• Saving jobs that were in jeopardy because of the pandemic.
• Encouraging salespeople to stay motivated and positive.
• Leadership that Alan respects during COVID-19.
• What Alan sees happening in the industry over the next two months.
• Debates about how much office space will be needed in the future.
• Making sure assets are in the strongest position they can be in.
• When companies may move back into acquisition mode.
• Alan’s instinct on where valuations are going.
• Recovery of real estate in other countries and their fluctuation of basis points.
• The outlook of retail investments.