In this edition, Aaron and Adam are joined by Ryan Nelson at the RealTrends Conference in Toronto. He serves as the Director of Investments for The Pearl Group.
The Pearl Group has a special focus on retail space in downtown Toronto, prompting Ryan to share his thoughts on this asset class. He also presents the process that The Pearl Group went through to select US investments and knowledge he learned that is helpful in both countries.
Topics covered include:
- The Pearl Group portfolio and shift in preferred assets.
- Comparing real estate opportunities in Toronto and Chicago.
- Thoughts on recent transactions completed in Toronto.
- Protecting against investments that may not be what they seem.
- How The Pearl Group narrowed their focus on a few US markets.
- Ryan’s favourite business model for entering a new market.
- The importance of fundamentals when buying property.
- Dangers of depending on “tomorrow’s prices.”
- Discounting your cash flow in your terminal year.
- How the The Pearl Group’s retail investments in Toronto will perform.
- Varying success levels of brands in downtown Toronto.
- Where Ryan believes retail is headed.
This episode of Commercial Real Estate Podcast powered by First National was recorded live at RealTrends Conference in Toronto as part of our Forum Series.
More about our guest:
Ryan Nelson started his professional career in the real estate industry in 2010 at Avison Young as a sales representative in the downtown Toronto office leasing market, then with DREAM on their asset management and business transformation teams.
Ryan then transitioned to Hullmark where he was responsible for investments, asset management and development. Since early 2019, Ryan moved over to The Pearl Group as its Director Investments.
Recorded at: RealTrends Conference
Real Estate Forums have teamed up with Adam Powadiuk and Aaron Cameron of First National Financial to produce live podcasts at conferences and forums around the country. Each episode features guests that include industry titans, innovators and game changers. Listen to podcasts recorded live at the Real Estate Forums and Conferences from our website and look out for them at events throughout the year!